New Information on the Under-Diagnosis and Treatment of ADHD
by Barbara Shelton
Barbara Shelton presented this very informative workshop at the OCA fall conference. This presentation addresses the facts, the myths, and the measures taken to identify and provide services for students diagnosed with ADHD.
Guiding the Child Through Grief and Loss
by Carolyn Nees, M.Ed., L.P.C., N.C.S.C.
Most parents will be faced with responsibility of guiding their child through the loss of a loved one. This article can assist parents in this difficult task.
Student Success Skills
Student Success Skill: A curriculum for study skills that has shown evidence of improving test scores in Florida. This curriculum is currently being evaluated in a rigorous way through an IES grant.
Dealing With Bullies
written by Margaret Durham
Bullying is a serious problem in American schools. Whether it is a smirk or a punch, bullying can leave permanent emotional injuries. Parents should be aware of the facts about bullying.
Integrating bullying prevention information into curriculum and school activities is an effect way to eliminate bullying. Here is a list of evidence-based bullying prevention programs examined and approved by federal agencies to assist schools in their prevention efforts.
The Collaborative for Academic, Social, and Emotional Learning (CASEL) strives to advance SEL science, evidencebased practice, and policy. Our current major focus involves a national Collaborating Districts Initiative to establish preschool through high school SEL programming in schools throughout the United States.
Articles for Media
Counselors may use the articles listed below for their local and school papers. Articles are in MSWord format.
Below are online resources we have found beneficial. As we continue to develop the site, more resources will be added.
- College Advising Guide for Undocumented Students
- Ronald H. Fredrickson Center for School Counseling Outcome Research & Evaluation
- Committee for Children: Second Step is the most researched SEL curriculum for students grade PREK-8th grade
- ADL: Cyberbullying
- Common Sense Media
- National Child Traumatic Stress Network
- American School Counselor Association (ASCA)
- Oklahoma Counseling Association
- School Climate
- What Works Clearinghouse -- Guide to evidence-based educational interventions
- National Office of School Counseling Advocacy (NOSCA)
- State Department of Career Technology. Contact: Kelly Arrington